When over 200 descendants of those buried in Mount Pleasant Cemetery gathered for the 2002 Roadhouse/Mellow Reunion, Dr. Gary Alan Dickey rededicated this cairn in memory of our Roadhouse ancestors. This is the message Gary delivered to the family on Sunday morning, “If These Stones Could Talk“.
Lot 22, West Half, Conc. 9, former Township of Albion
Mount Pleasant Cemetery before restoration in 1998.
During restoration in 1998
Check out these articles on Mount Pleasant Cemetery.
Searching for family heritage, The Enterprise, November 10, 1996
Historic cemeteries in Caledon, The Enterprise, January 9, 1999
The following is taken from the HALTON-PEEL Newsletter of the Ontario Genealogical Society, February 1999
Mount Pleasant Cemetery, Elizabeth (Crissey) and William Roadhouse Sen.
The Cairn at this location was constructed more than 25 years ago and had structural defects. It has now been replaced. Several years ago a local resident mentioned, during a telephone conversation to the Caledon Heritage Resource Office, that he had a newspaper clipping and photograph dated many years ago but that he could not find the monument in the Cairn or in the surrounding cemetery. The memorial was of particular interest as it recognized the wife of the first settler on the adjoining farm. A few days later a copy of the clipping arrived and a site visit confirmed that the monument was not present. As this cemetery, the many of the others are checked on a fairly regular basis, searches for the missing stone occurred from time to time, in the trees, shrubs, day lilies and periwinkle patches. In early spring, on two occasions, a spike was used before the vegetation got too dense to see if it was just below the surface. All to no avail. As an early monument recording had noted the stone, it was only the loss of the artefact that was irritating.
In that strange way that coincidences often happen, shortly after the heritage office received visitors from Alberta researching the same family, a telephone call came in from a friendly historian in an adjoining municipality asking me to call a gentleman there who had found a monument in his father’s long unused barn.
There are no prizes for guessing that it was the long sought ELIZABETH CRISSEY ROADHOUSE monument.
The conversation revealed that the memorial (of ancestors) had been taken to the barn at least thirty years before to be repaired (it is cleanly broken in three pieces), but due to the ill health and subsequent death of the caller’s father, that had not occurred.
Subsequently the monument had become covered with straw in the unused barn and had only recently come to light as clearing up had started.
In early June this year, in preparation of the Cairn reconstruction, the monument was picked up from its “temporary” residence. It was only then that a nice surprise (and a problem from the point of view of cairn replacement) came to light. The monument has a recording on both sides. Elizabeth’s husband William’s memorial is on the reverse. In light of the importance and beauty of both sides which reveal much evidence of a monument maker’s skill, the monument has been repaired by experts and the cairn redesigned to make both sides visible…..
Side One: In Memory of Elizabeth Crissey, wife of William Roadhouse, native of Flemingborough, Yorkshire, England, who died Dec. 11th, 1864, aged 90 years, 4 mos & 15 days.
Side Two: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord. Erected To the Memory of William Roadhouse Sen., Native of Monk Fryson, Yorkshire, England. Who departed this life Nov. 11, 1837, AE 83 yrs., 9 mo. & 10 days
(Heather Ghey Broadbent, Chair, Caledon Heritage Committee and LACAC; November 1998)
Note: In the Halton-Peel Branch Cemetery Recording of Mount Pleasant Wesleyan Methodist (Also called Roadhouses and Mt. Wolfe) it says that Wm. Roadhouse is a native of Hemmingborough, Yorkshire. On a Yorkshire map it is spelled Hemingbrough – there is no Flemingborough.